20 November 2012

confessions of a jean snob

All growing up my mom took us to shop at stores like JC Pennys and Macys. Not a bad thing if you have three kids to go school shopping and you're poor, its awesome you can get everyones clothes for in one store and for a decent price. 

So i grew up wearing jeans with random names like Arizona brand and Angel and Mudd. I was little and I didn't really care what brand my jeans were as long as they looked "cool" ( i put cool in quotes because i totally owned a pair of jeans with the leather lace up instead of a zipper...ewww).


Enter 19 year old kellie off in her first year of college. i had a really great friend who just happened to be gay and we used to spend a ton of time together and this is where i really started to pay attention to what i wore. i'm an engineering student so that should tell you a little about my fashion mindset, i didnt really give a crap. so i quickly learned alot about lines and colours and jean cuts and i was addicted to watching shows like what not to wear and popular youtube blogs by people like
William Sledd. And that is where i began to lust after a pair of designer jeans of my own.

I bought my
first pair of designer jeans from a thrift store and i fell in love. From then on i decided never to wear a pair of jeans that weren't designer.

Fast-forward to present day. i live in Utah and i am dirt poor because i'm saving all my money so i don't have to work my last semester of engineering school. I was left with two pairs of jeans left and one of them ripped beyond repair. i almost cried. i now was left with one pair of sevens and no money to buy a new pair of jeans. what did i do? i compiled all of my old clothes and took them to a thrift store in hopes of making a trade for a new pair. No such luck, my clothes added up to $20 and some change and there was not a designer jean in sight.


So ten minutes later i find myself wandering around Macy's with $20 dollars in hand. Admitting defeat i stumbled upon a
decent pair of jeans, that weren't really jeans but jeggings and decided to buy them.


 They ended up being a little over $20 which was nice but they were nowhere near the quality of a pair of Seven for All of Mankind or Hudsons. And then i was reminded why i didn't buy jeans like this...ugh.

i just have to make it through 5 more months of engineering school and a new pair of designer jeans will be mine...first world problems. :'(

No comments:

twitter

Blog Archive